Insult to injury Grand finally

Day 26 is missing but basically their are still two groups. Group 1 stopped responding to my whistles and we are a little worried especially because they have poor map reading skills. After trying to track them down for an hour or so we decided that it would be in the best interest if we meet up at the final destination being that the destination had already been planned out a few days in advance and we only had about 18 miles to go. We figured out our bearing and had a pretty good time hiking until we got to the water source, the only one that was any were close to us, where we found out that it had dried up. I set out with 2 full 40oz bottles and when we got to the water source I had about 20oz left. (That was more than the other two guys had) We then started to worry about the other group. There was no sign that they had even been here, so we pressed on. We took a lot of breaks because of the lack of water, energy, and blisters on our feet. We finished the day thinking we were going to get a lot of crap from the other group for being so slow but there was not sign of them at the final destination and the sun was setting. After a few hours of waiting our ride came to pick us up and still no group 1, we were all worried. After the sun had set and the moon had risen we see two dark figures approaching in the distance, It was group 1.  They misread the map and had traveled about 20 miles in the wrong direction. Luckily for them a family had been driving by and told them where they were and also supplied them with a gallon of water being that they had been out of water sense about noon. The vehicle that we thought was here to pick us up was just there to get our gear, they then informed us that our ride was parked a few miles away. So we began to walk. Group 1 left us again because they decided they were going to run it, while group 2 walked it. After about 5 miles of walking we realized this was no short walk, my thoughts (in a more PG way) “this sucks”. Then what seemed like for ever maybe 3-4 miles we came across a member of group 1 who was in hypothermia to the point he could hardly talk or move. I thought about what I know about hypothermia and how to signal for help so I blew my whistle 3 times, but with no response. So I stripped down to give him my cloths and body heat which only helped a little. This was a critical situation we had to find this car soon because he wasn’t going anywhere. So I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could blowing my whistle every few minutes but with no response. Then after a few miles of running I could see a faint light in the distance so I signaled again but still no response. When I finally got to the light I was tired, cold, and extremely frustrated. I then asked why they didn’t respond to my whistles, and they responded “we wanted you to find us on your own.” (FYI 3 whistles, gun shots, or threes in general mean help.)  So I proceeded to tell them where the person was that needed help. Why the car was going to get him, I worked on warming myself up next to the small fire that had just been started. ( remember I still have no clothing) The car returned and I got my clothes back warmed up and then it started to rain, talk about insult to injury. When it started to rain we were informed that we were heading out at first light. So for the rest of the night I slept in the rain. When the sun rose and the rain had stopped on day 28 we all filed in the van liked zombies, after an hour drive back to our vehicles they gave us eggs and yogurt for our first meal, and a steam bath which was amazing. So after a long day hike and then a night hike along with being up for over 24 hours it ended with a nice relaxing steam bath to wash all the dirt away.

Leave a Reply